Why use Podophyllin Paint?
Wart paint has been commercially available in the past, on prescription. However the manufacturer of this product in the last 10 years no longer produces the product which means Compounding Pharmacies are well place to create this established and effective product.
A General Practitioner will identify the types of Warts that need to be treated by Podophyllin. These types of Warts are often treated previously with over-the-counter medicines and this treatment is unsuccessful.
Warts are benign growths of skin caused by the human papillomavirus (HPV). The HPV virus is transmitted by direct skin-to-skin contact. (1)
There are many types of warts and this topic deals with ‘common’ viral warts, which mostly occur on the back of the hands and fingers (less commonly on the elbows and knees). Warts are usually painless and may occur singly or in crops. Most have a cauliflower-like appearance and tiny black dots are usually present within the wart.
Warts are more common in children, with most occurring in adolescents aged 12 to 16 years. Most common warts are self-limiting and disappear by themselves within 2 years. However, most people will seek treatment for cosmetic reasons.
- do not pick, bite or scratch warts since this may encourage spread to other parts of the body
- most warts will clear up within two years without treatment
- when using topical products, protect surrounding skin by cutting a hole in a plaster and placing it over the wart, leaving the wart exposed. Alternatively, apply petroleum jelly (Vaseline) to the surrounding skin
- be patient when using products, since most warts take up to 12 weeks to treat
- if treatment is unsuccessful you can ask the pharmacist to recommend an alternative product or visit your GP for liquid nitrogen therapy, which freezes the warts
Podophyllum Paint (2)
- Apply daily as directed by your Doctor
- not for use during pregnancy or by people with diabetes
- protect the skin surrounding the wart with clear nail polish
- cover the area with a waterproof dressing after application
Compounded Podophyllum Paint
With all compounded medicines, this needs to be made by the team when an order is place. Please follow the steps on this website to order medicine and give the lab a call on 1300731755.